Preparing for the BIG day can come with all sorts of feelings and stresses, but your hospital bag should not be one of them! I have compiled all of my favorite must have items that made going through labor and the initial postpartum poments slightly more bearable.
Now this is definitely a more indepth list and I even left out some details that were on my personal list (ie; specific toiletries, dads specific packing list, etc). Those things I think you have under control! But like I’ve said in past posts, I’m an overpacker. So if you’re a minimalist, this list may give you some anxiety.
At the end of the day, I’m a big list maker. It’s what brings me ease and clarity when planning. So that is my intention here, to help bring some clarity and a plan of action if you feel like you don’t know where to start. Take or leave any of the following items for your list as you see fit for you and your family!
Be sure to scroll to the bottom for the exact list I made for my personal experience at the hospital! Feel free to screen shot it or print it out! Happy Packing!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links for some of the products listed.
The List You May Have Already Packed:
- Necessary Documents (ID, Insurance, Birth Plan(though this will likely fly out the window), Etc.)
- Nursing Bras
- Nursing Nightgown
- A change of clothes or two
- 1-2 Swaddles
- Personal Pillow
- Body Pillow (optional)
- Nursing Pillow
- Extra Large Water Bottle With Bendy Straw
- Lip Balm
- Lavender Lotion For Mama
- Change of Clothes for dad
- Babies going home outfit
- Newborn and 0-3m Onesies
- Newborn diapers (Though your hospital will likely provide all baby essentials)
- Comfy cotton undies
- Prenatal Vitamins
- Car seat (Seems Obvious, but put it on your list!)
The List You May NOT Have Already Packed:
- Oil Diffuser and Your Favorite Oils (I highly recommend Sage!)
- A small bluetooth speaker for relaxing music or your favorite playlist
- Cozy Slippers and or Fuzzy socks with Grips on the bottom
- Soft Cotton Robe
- A folder with a latch to keep all of the paperwork you get for you and your baby
- Nipple Cream (The hospital may provide one but I preferred my earth mama brand over what they had)
- Perineal Spray (Again, the hospital will likely provide this but I preferred the earth mama brand)
- Towel (Optional, as your hospital will likely provide you with some)
- Shower shoes
- Coconut water/Electrolyte powder
- Healthy Snacks
- Make Up
- Silky Scrunchies to Put your hair up before labor begins
- Small Fan
- Thank you note and/or Nurses gifts
- Exercise Ball (Another optional item as hospitals usually have them but I preferred my own)
- A personal cozy blanket
- Placenta Encapsulation Kit (100% optional and will make a post about this experience in a later blog!)
Duffle Bag & Matching Toiletries Bag
I used both of these and love the quality and durability! The duffle bag could have definitely been a bit bigger, but the toiletries bag was plenty big with multiple storage areas which was a huge plus!